Webpart Error V.3.1.0.0

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Nov 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM
I've installed RSSFeedReader V.3.1.0.0 and deployed to my development server (WSS 3.0) using stsadm command line, I got error when I add webpart into page (See below)

An unexpected error has occurred.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

any idea? Please advice

Rgds
Putra

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM
I have this same issue. I can install the FeedReader and drop it on a page but as soon as I add a legitimate feed I either get the above error or I get System.NullReferenceException:  Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.RssFeedReader._
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 4:22 PM
Hi all, sorry for this.  I found that my logic was assuming a "good" RSS feed versus actually following the spec.  Turns out that the RSS item specification is actually very forgiving (only one element required).  I'm changing the logic AS I WRITE THIS and testing with some folks who reported this.  I will have a fixed build uploaded today.  I apologize and thanks for reporting this!

-th
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM
Here's an alpha release: http://www.codeplex.com/FeedReader/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19830
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Final stable release of this build uploaded at 9:00 PM MST and available at http://www.codeplex.com/FeedReader/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19830
Nov 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM
I really like this feed reader and think its a big improvement over the default RSS feedreader that comes with MOSS. However I am still getting this error:

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily close Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.

Even after loading v3.1.0.1. The RSS feeds that I am trying come from other sharepoint doc libraries on the same farm or on other farms. Kerberos authentication is enabled on all the farms I am pulling feeds from. The feeds do work intermittently. Please help.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:36 PM
Great RSS feeder, but I am also receiving the same error displayed above after installing the November 25 code.  I can get the webpart to initially work, but intermittently it will fail.  Although once it does fail, it will not work again until I delete the webpart and re-add it back.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Can you guys set the cache duration to 0 and try again?
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM
I have tried with cache duration set to zero, it still crashes.
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM
I had the same results with cache duration set to 0.  Actually, responded the same way.  RSS feed would work from all connections for a few minutes, then receive the error above.  In fact, about a half hour later, it worked for a few more minutes.  I was also wondering if hard-coding the proxy in the web-config file would help, but did not seem to matter.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Crap, sorry you are having trouble guys!  Are you sure you have the latest version from the Releases tab that was updated 26 NOV?  Is there any reporting in the event log that shows any further hints?
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM
I changed the cache duration to 60 minutes and the site was up for that period of time.  After that time, the page received the error again.  Thought I had the newest release, but will make sure.
Jan 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Hopefully I can shed some light on this issue. I am using version 3.1.0.1 of this web part and have the same issue, but only when trying to read Sharepoint feeds on our own site. When I try to include, e.g. the CNN front page feed, it works fine. But when I try to read another feed from the same Sharepoint site, there is an error.

However, if I save the XML from the feed into a separate location, then add the URL to that location, then it works. At first I thought that this indicated it was the format of the URL that was the problem; Sharepoint feed URLs are in a format such as:
http://example.com/site/_layouts/listfeed.aspx?List={GUID}

(Note that the List parameter can be with or without braces, and with or without URL encoding; I've tried all variations with this web part and all give me the error).

However, when I saved the static XML to a file and loaded it using a similar URL (with ?, dashes, and braces), it worked. Note that this second test server I was using is Apache; I'll try doing this with IIS also in a bit.

And now for the kicker, when I used Apache's ProxyPass directive to load the feed from Sharepoint, but at a similar URL, and then pointed the web part to that new Apache URL, I got the error again.

So, all of this to me points that there is something about the SharePoint response (maybe an HTTP header?) that your web part doesn't like. Unfortunately I don't currently have admin access to that box to provide stack traces, but maybe this points you in the right direction. If not, I'll do some more investigation to see if I can narrow it down better...

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Just to advise, I've installed today in our test SP environment and am receiving the same 'an unexpected error' occurred when trying to add a feed.  Have tried with both a feed from an SP list on the same site and from an 'external' one on the bbc sport home page.  We're running WSS3.0 with MOSS 2007 for Search (which isn't the full MOSS solution).  Also we've very recently upgraded to MOSS 2007 SP1 (a bit behind the times I know, but it may/may not help with your investigation).  Note I hadn't ever tried it prior to upgrade.
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM
I have been doing some research on this matter and found that SharePoint codes the XML file with the following:  xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl". Could this be the issue? Shouldn't it be "text/xml"?  If this is the issue, is there anyway around it maybe? 

Thanks!
Mar 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM
I would be interested in hearing when this is fixed. I am using the latest release. Feeds from external sources work  fine. But like everyone else, when I try to use a feed from one of my internal sites, I get the same error.

I really like this product, and find it useful for the external feeds, but think our intranet will greatly benefit once I am able to do a composite feed from multiple internal sites.

Louis
Mar 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM
I haven't had much time to look at this since my original post but I think this is an issue with authentication, not necessarily whether it's an internal post. If the SharePoint feed is set to require authentication then the request will fail. I haven't tried actually allowing anonymous access (don't have the permission to do so on our site). Of course it would be great if the web part caught this exception and showed an error message instead of crashing the whole page!
Apr 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Has a resolution to this been found?

I have the Web Part installed on my WSS 3.0 install, with one RSS feed pointing to an external news site which has worked really well for the last month or so since I installed it. 
However I logged in today, and found that the web part had error'd, and as a result crashed the whole page!
I had to remove the web part in SharePoint Designer to be able to access the page through SharePoint again, where I added it once again with exactly the same feed as before....and it's working fine again.   I'm using the latest release.

Thanks!
Apr 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM
I get these errors but only when I don't supply the proxy information in the web part.  I don't get it on any internal feeds, and I can't seem to figure out how to make the modifications to the web.config work.

It would be nice if the web part would not completly crash if there is a porblme.  telling the users to remove the web part and start over because the did not enter the proxy info has not gone over well.  Plus some feeds seem to crash it as well such as http://www.sharepointfeeds.com/?media=rss even with the proxy set correctly...

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Just more info on this:

http://www.sharepointfeeds.com/index.php?media=rss had a problem reading the feeds from the URL.
Error returned from FeedReader: This operation is not supported for a relative URI.:System
Developer
Apr 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM
I've duplicated this error with the latest release in an NTLM environment.  For those experiencing the error, are you on NTLM or Kerberos?

I loaded a past release to the same environment and received a 401 error, which is why I'm thinking auth issues that Kerberos might resolve.
May 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Thanks Ryan.   I'm new to this thread and I just installed the RSSFeedReader in our SharePoint environment.   It seemed to work great for a couple of hours until I started showing it off and then I ran into the same problem expressed in this thread.   Actually, I'm fine for internal SharePoint RSS feeds, but as soon as I try to go outside to grab a feed:

I then need to remove the webpart from the site to have access.

We are Kerberos authenticating and are not using a Proxy server.   All of our internet access is filtered through a WebSense server, so I suppose it is possible that is causing problems.

Just thougth I'd add some info to see if a fix can be found.

May 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM
Edited May 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Here is more specifics on the error

http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/hurricanes does not appear to be a valid RSS feed. If the feed is valid, please ensure your proxy server settings are correct if you use a proxy server.
Error returned from FeedReader: The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine:<Domain>.Syndication

the IIS Log shows that the Get for this returns a 304 Status when Cache set to zero and a 200 status when Cache set to any positive value. Not much help.

I have:

rebuilt the solution using .net 2.0 and 3.0

Added the <enableHeaderChecking="false" /> and 

<system.net>
    <settings>
      <httpWebRequest useUnsafeHeaderParsing="true" />
    </settings>
  </system.net>

to the web.config

A couple of lines from the Sharepont logs show the same:

0x035C SharePoint Portal Server       WebParts                       8imh High     RssWebPart: Exception handed to HandleRuntimeException.HandleException System.Net.WebException: The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseXmlDataSource.GetXmlDocument()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetHierarchicalDocument(IHierarchicalDataSource ds)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetHierarchicalXPathNavigator(IHierarchicalDataSource ds)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigatorInternal()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator(IDataSource datasource, Boolean originalData)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWeb... 
05/18/2009 16:00:28.70* w3wp.exe (0x0984)                        0x035C SharePoint Portal Server       WebParts                       8imh High     ...Part.GetXPathNavigator(String viewPath)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform()

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM

deleted. it didnt help.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Hi Tim, Ryan,

I have experienced the above mentioned errors using version 3.1.0.1 released on Nov 26. I am running WSS 3.0 SP2 on an Intranet with NTLM authentication. Is there a workaround or solution for this issue? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I have also been having the "unexpected error" problem, but it's only been a problem for some users.  It works fine for other users accessing the same page.  By accident, I just found a solution that worked for me.  I needed to access a SharePoint site from the WFEs to check something unrelated but was unable to because of the loopback check.  I disabled the loopback check on the WFEs per MS KB 896861. 

A little while ago I went back to working on the error with the RSSFeedReader web part and found that it was no longer giving an error.  To see if it was working now because I disabled the loopback check, I enabled the loopback check again.  The web part error immediately returned.  It went away again when I disabled the loopback check again.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I think the crashing is from malformed RSS feeds.  FeedReader works great for:

http://rss.weather.com/weather/rss/local/93401?cm_ven=LWO&cm_cat=rss&par=LWO_rss

http://feeds.feedburner.com/brainyquote/QUOTEBR

but blows up when I add:

http://support.digitalfoundation.net/esupport3/rss/index.php?_m=news&_a=view&group=default

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I take that back!  It is NOT a malformed RSS feed.  EVERYTHING started working after I followed Scott Hanks' fix by disabling the loopback check:

Instructions to disable loopback

1. regedit, and then click OK.
  2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAClick Start, click Run, type L_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
  3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

-- Quote from Scott --

I have also been having the "unexpected error" problem, but it's only been a problem for some users.  It works fine for other users accessing the same page.  By accident, I just found a solution that worked for me.  I needed to access a SharePoint site from the WFEs to check something unrelated but was unable to because of the loopback check.  I disabled the loopback check on the WFEs per MS KB 896861. 

A little while ago I went back to working on the error with the RSSFeedReader web part and found that it was no longer giving an error.  To see if it was working now because I disabled the loopback check, I enabled the loopback check again.  The web part error immediately returned.  It went away again when I disabled the loopback check again.

-- end quote --

Thanks Scott!!!!!!

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I found something else, this may be NTFS related to the ACLs - after I installed it the square graphic: square.gif  did not display.  I had to change th epermissions adding IUSR with READonly access for everyone to see it.  If this is a problem for the graphic, maybe this could reflect a security problem with other files installed....

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM

First off thank you Tim for creating the Feedreader and making it available to everyone.  We rolled it out to our MOSS 2007 environment and it has worked well.  However we have ran into an issue with it when adding a 2nd web front end server to the farm.  The web part won't work across servers when trying to pull a feed from someone's MySite.  I've found from reading your posts that this is expected because of authentication issues.  That's fine because we found a work around.

The problem I face now is that the web part was used in many sites to connnect to multiple external RSS feeds.  This functionality still works, even across multiple web front end servers.  I need to ensure that no one uses the feed reader web part to try and connect to something within the intranet since that functionality doesn't work.  The feed reader web part isn't in the web part gallery so I can' t hide it that way.  I'm assuming since it is deployed as a solution that's why it isn't in the gallery.  I did notice that it shows up under the server web part gallery (its the only one there in fact) but I don't have the option to hide or delete it there.

Does anyone know of a way to make this web part unavailable to users without uninstalling it?  I can't uninstall it because it will break in multiple sites.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:51 AM

if internal web share of rss feed has not privilige, the same error occured.

FYI