Upgrade procedure from v3.0.0.1 to v3.0.0.2

Topics: User Forum
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Some months back we installed FeedReader v3.0.0.1 on our farm.  We would now like to upgrade to version 3.0.0.2.  I cannot intuit a way to make this upgrade go smoothly.  The problem, as I see it, is that the program has transitioned from an installable web part pack to a solution pack, so the installer seems to have no way of detecting and upgrading the existing files in the GAC. 

Here are some of the issues I have encountered so far:
  • If I retract and remove the existing 3.0.0.1 solution, then install the new solution, existing web parts become invalid.  Simply adding the old entries back into the "SafeControls" list of the farm web.config file does not fix the problem.
  • If I install the new 3.0.0.2 WSP into a farm with the existing 3.0.0.1 WPPack, the original web parts still work, but now users see two FeedReader web parts avaiable in the server web parts gallery, with nothing differentiating them.  When you select either, the new web part always is creating using the old 3.0.0.1 version of the web part.

It looks like I would need to wade into exery web part page in our farm and upgrade the version strings for the web part being called if I want to do this would requiring user intervention.  Any thoughs on this?

As an aside, our thanks go out to Tim and the rest of the community for their work on this fine SharePoint extention... it really helps to fill in the feature gaps.

-Greg Mackinnon
University of Vermont

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM
I have just done an "upgrade". Unfortunately, what I did was delete the old webpart (and data) and had to recreated. The steps I performed were as follows.

1) use add remove to remove the old RSS program
2) install the new one.
3) you get a file called upgrade.bat
4) modify the file with your site URL
5) in order for the upgrade.bat to work, you need to delete your old web parts and data. Make a copy of the old RSS feeds so you can reimport.
6) run the following commands:

X:\>stsadm -o retractsolution -name SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.Rss.wsp -imm
ediate -url SITEURL

X:\>stsadm -o deletesolution -name SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.Rss.wsp

This will get the old data off of your site.

7) Install the new web part as normal using the following commands (or use the upgrade.bat), per site that you want.

X:\>stsadm -o addsolution -filename "D:\RSS FeedReader Web Part\SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.Rss.wsp"
X:\>stsadm -o deploysolution -name SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.Rss.wsp -allowGacdeployment -local -url "SITEURL"

This new version has fixed a date error problem that was really bugging me. I only have a few sites that use RSS so it wasnt a big deal to backup and reinstall. Its probably the easiest way