how to install the webpart

Topics: User Forum
Nov 22, 2006 at 4:17 AM
I had installed the webpart by excute the RSSFeedReaderSetup.msi file,but i did not find the webpart in the webpart gallery. what should i do to deploy the webpart to my sharepoint site?
Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2006 at 5:48 PM
in the README file included it provides installation instructions. the MSI is just a deployment installation, presenting the license agreement, etc. -- installation to a sharepoint server is done usingthe stsadm.exe tool provided by sharepoint.

this is because the feedback received was that there are different ways to install a web part and i decided not to force a specific way in the msi, but let the administrators decide on the method of installation.
Jan 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM
i also would like help with this. do i install the .cab file using the stmadm tool? Sorry but i need better more detailed instructions as i am just learning sharepoint.

There are lots of Nubes that are going to be trying this now that MS is stopping web part support at MSNBC..

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:01 PM
extract msi to default location

open a cmd window and navigate to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\BIN

(i use a "cmd from here" tool in explorer)

stsadm -o addwppack -filename "C:\Program Files\Smiling Goat\FeedReader\smilinggoat.feedreader.cab" -globalinstall -force

that should install it..
Jun 24, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Hi Tim,

I have downloaded 3.x version and tried to install that on my Sharepoint 2003, but it doesn't have addsolution and deploysolution options, So I have used addwppack command and it is successfull.

Can you please tell me afer running below command what steps I have to do? I am very new to this. Thanks in advance.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\BIN>stsadm -o addwppack -filename "C:\Apps\RSSFeedReaderWebPart\SmilingGoat.SharePoint.WebParts.Rss.cab" -globalinstall -force

smilinggoat.sharepoint.webparts.rss.cab: Deploying to http://mdc-test-sp-04/.
Operation completed successfully.