FeedReader on WSS 3

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:16 AM
Hi,

I'm having problems using the FeedReader on WSS 3. It installs without any problems and I can add the webpart to the site but most of the time I get the following error message "An unexpected error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

If I press the refresh icon on the webpart I can randomly get the feed to display correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what could be wrong?

Here's an image of the webpart when the error occurs, http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/28634/2005418031337021585_rs.jpg

This only happens on WSS 3. On WSS 2 it works perfectly.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Johannes
Oct 5, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Hi Johannes,
I had the same issue today and probably like you have trawled the discussions to find a solution. I have found that when I added it with Sharepoint Designer it failed to work with the error you saw. However if I removed it and then added it through the Edit Page on the site, it worked fine.
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM
I am also experiencing this exact error. Anyone find an answer yet? I really want to use this award-winning web part.
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:12 AM
I have not been able to find a solution yet unfortunately. It's a real shame as it's such a great webpart.
If anyone finds out what's wrong please post it here, seems like quite a few people are getting the same error.

Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM
hi all, i'm sorry you're having problems configuring it. as was noted, it is best to add it using edit page (and ensure it is installed properly using the -globalinstall option).



Joh wrote:
I have not been able to find a solution yet unfortunately. It's a real shame as it's such a great webpart.
If anyone finds out what's wrong please post it here, seems like quite a few people are getting the same error.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2007 at 6:03 AM
Did anyone find a solution to this? I just upgraded to WSS 3.0 and I am reciving the error mentioned above.

I've installed with -globalinstall and added it it from the "Edit Page" dialog

Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks
Bradley Peatross
Nov 15, 2007 at 9:12 AM
I just install this with the -global flag. Initially it didn't register as safe even though the assemblies had been added to web.config. It took a server reboot to register the web part in WSS 3.0.

So now I have it registered, I tried editing a page and received this error message:

"An unexpected error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Does this web part work with MOSS 2007/WSS 3.0 ? If not, does anyone know of a good RSS aggregator alternative?

cheers,
Steve
Nov 20, 2007 at 3:54 PM
I haven't got this to work yet. I've uninstalled and reinstalled just to make sure I did what Tim said but still get the same error.

Problem is I haven't found any good alternatives so I'm a bit stuck.

If anyone would find out what's causing this please post back here.

Johannes
Nov 29, 2007 at 7:17 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM
I can't figure out why that error is occurring either.

On my MOSS installation, I have the web part on the portal home page (which happens to use the Publishing template, if that matters) and I cannot display any news feeds with it - I get the same error.

However, if I drop the web part on a subsite (for example, using a Team Site or Blank Site template), it works OK!

I hacked a change to the code that works around the problem, but I cannot figure out why there is a problem to start with. The root of the problem is that PartCacheRead() is returning a null value. I even modified the code for RenderWebPart so it calls PartCacheWrite() immediately before PartCacheRead() as a test, so theoretically there is no question that there is data in the cache - and it still returns null.

But again, only from my portal home page. Very strange.

My "hacked" solution was to modify RenderWebPart to do this:

object res = this.PartCacheRead(Storage.Shared, "FeedReader" + this.ClientID);
if (res == null)
outputString = this._RefreshFeedCache();
else
outputString = res.ToString();

This is telling it to go grab the data from the feed if it can't pull it out of the cache.

One other thing - I changed all references to the ID that it tacks on to the cache name (after "FeedReader") to this.ClientID. In my testing, it was using the same ID for the cache value for every web part, so if there were multiple feeds on the page, they would all use the same cache key. I don't know if this is right or wrong yet, but it looks to be working for me.
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:15 PM
Hi jdenicola

Could you please tell me how you modified the webpart? I'm not experienced with programming but got the tools at work so would like to give it a try.
If you wouldn't mind some sort of step by step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Johannes
Dec 3, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Sorry, but I don't really have step by step instructions - I did this a while ago and I do not recall what issues I ran into loading it.

Just try downloading the source code and open the solution with Visual Studio and try to build it without making any changes. Once you have it building, then look at making the changes. You will want to make the change I gave above to the RenderWebPart method. (But look at the other calls to PartCacheRead() - I changed the calls to use this.ClientID - you will either need to change all calls to PartCacheRead and PartCacheWrite to use this.ClientID or change my code segment above to use whatever PartCacheWrite is already using.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM
the latest checkin includes a wss3 webpart package from a contributor -- consider looking at that
Apr 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Hi Tim,

Would you be able to upload a compiled version of the latest checkin. sounds like this might have fixed the issue I'm having but unfortunately I have no idea how to compile this into a working file.

Thanks